As a Technical Architect you will provide field enablement and sales support leadership to SAS field teams in the areas of data management in ‘Big Data’ including high performance environments. Focus on solving SAS customers' strategic business and IT issues by positioning the overall SAS technical architecture and ‘Big Data’ technologies. Strong experience in data preparation, data administration as well as system architecture are required. Strong experience with commercial Hadoop distribution is strongly desired.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Building a trusted relationship with the SAS account team, partners and client to provide practical and theoretical guidance in the business value of proposed solution and setting proper expectations to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Strategizing with sales team on objectives for customer meetings, understanding how this activity relates to overall sales plan and providing functional solution leadership for sales opportunities.
- Conducting discovery meetings to collect, analyze, clarify and document business requirements during the sales cycle to support the implementation team and to produce a detailed solution proposal.
- Working on consulting projects and special projects as assigned; acting as the technical lead on projects as assigned.
- Delivering standard, customized and/or strategic, senior level solution demonstrations and presentations outlining the functional capabilities, competitive advantages and business benefits of the SAS solutions as they apply to client needs.
- Installing SAS solutions and any required supporting products for knowledge sharing or demonstration purposes.
- Assisting in the response to RFI/RFP's utilizing the RFP Repository and crafting thorough and compelling answers.
- Understanding, utilizing and communicating best practice methodologies internally and externally.
- Providing support for global business development activities and marketing events.
- Working proactively with Systems Engineers, Technical Architects and other Solutions Architects to strategize on opportunities, cross-training and knowledge transfer.
Specialized responsibilities for role:
- Setting direction and advocating how SAS presents its data strategy across the SAS platform (in-SAS, in-Database, in-Hadoop, in-Stream, in-Memory).
- Leading customer presentations and workshops centered on data strategy for big data technologies and SAS integration.
- Creating and delivering compelling presentations about data strategy and capabilities related to big data processing, both structured and unstructured.
- Designing and delivering SAS product demonstrations with complex data.
- Collaborate with other internal organizations including Product Management and R&D to help drive future product direction.
- Instructing selected regional field systems engineers on how to discuss SAS's capabilities for big data processing and analytics.
- Documenting and distributing customer case studies and best practices associated with domain areas.
- First level pre-sales support for early adopter customers and emerging solutions as required.
- Second level support to global spearheads and Data Management Center of Excellence staff on key customer engagements.
- Creating and distributing Best Practices.
- Supporting complex Workshops, Proof of Concepts and Sizing activities.
- Mentoring global spearheads and Data Management staff.
- Supporting customer engagements across all SAS vertical and geographic organizations
Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, MIS, or related field. Masters degree preferred.
5 years of software engineering, technical sales, systems engineering, applications development and/or technical customer support
Experience with data management principles including the areas such as data warehousing and relating these principles in "Big Data" applications.
Experience in open source system administration and deployment (Hadoop).
Experience with Linux/Unix (shell script, python, perl).
Programming experience with SQL, SQL/MR, PL/SQL, TD Stored Procedure Language, HiveQL, Pig, MapReduce or other languages
- Demonstrated thought leader in a single domain or industry (publishes articles, leads demand generation activities, and speaks in the business track at conferences/events)
- Strong facilitation and communications skills
- Clear understanding of sales strategies and cycles
- Good problem solving, organizational, decision-making written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to blend various open source offerings to create innovative solutions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with (one or more) Oracle Warehouse Builder, Informatica, IBM Datastage, Ab Initio, Pentaho, SAS Data Integration Studio or other data management tools.
- Experience with commercial Hadoop distributions desired
- Experience with commercial Hadoop applications (Datameer, Paxata, Trifacta, Informatica Big Data Edition, Oracle Big Data Discovery) or open source projects in the Hadoop ecosystem like Apache Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Yarn, Mahout, Hue, Impala, Falcon etc.
- Knowledge of applied analytics as it relates to the use of corporate data assets to deliver analysis and information for business value
Able to travel 30% of the time as business requirements dictate at management discretion
SAS believes in the whole employee experience. Meaningful work. Empowerment to make a difference that changes people’s lives. Dynamic work environments that foster innovation. And an award-winning culture that makes it all possible. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. Whether you're a university recruit, or an experienced professional ready for the next big challenge, SAS brings perks, passion, and the potential to grow. No limits.
Want to stay up to date on SAS culture, products and jobs? Follow us on LinkedIn