Are you a problem solver, explorer, and knowledge seeker – always asking, “What if?”
If so, then you may be the new team member we’re looking for. Because at SAS, your curiosity matters – whether you’re developing algorithms, creating customer experiences or answering critical questions. Curiosity is our code, and the opportunities here are endless.
What we do
We’re the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel Director to manage the legal business function and staff in Greater China. This person will take lead in providing legal advise and assistance throughout the company, its regional offices, and subsidiaries on a worldwide basis; and perfforming a full range of legal services and maintaining a diverse and heavy caseload.
- Provide general legal support for Greater China or other SAS entities as assigned by General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer.
- Select, develop and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. Provide general supervision to other attorneys, licensing operations personnel and staff.
- Manage outside counsel retained by the company.
- Provide Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel with legal opinions that evaluate matters that have a substantial bearing on the conduct of the company's business.
- Carry out company and Legal Division policy.
- Advise company management and staff on various legal matters based upon assigned area of responsibility, which may include, but is not limited to, government regulation, personnel and benefits matters, environmental concerns, global intellectual property protection, and in all other matters necessary to protect the company's assets; shields the company from unacceptable risks and assists in achieving its corporate goals.
- Seek out areas for improvement in the performance of his or her team and the team’s processes, and drive any necessary changes.
- Provide input into formulation and implementation of strategy, objectives and policy for his or her team or the Legal Division, as applicable, ensuring alignment to the company’s business goals and objectives.
- Seek to inspire his or her team by communicating the strategy and objectives of the Legal Division and the company, managing individual performance, coaching personal development, attending to individual wellbeing, and developing appropriate succession plans.
- Provide training to legal staff and employees of the company, including, but not limited to, sales personnel on contract positions and processes and policies developed to protect the company from risks while enhancing profit potential.
- Maintain acceptable levels of knowledge on developments in the law as these affect the company's business.
- Negotiate contracts, including, but not limited to, license agreements and services agreements with customers and business partners on behalf of the company.
- May interact with government officials and regulatory authorities on behalf of the company.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management throughout the company, its subsidiaries and with external company contacts.
- May help advise and mentor other attorneys throughout the Legal Division.
- May manage projects or other attorneys in more than one country.
What we’re looking for
- Fluency in oral and written Simplified Chinese and English.
- Superior knowledge of, and excellent ability to, interpret and apply general case, statutory, and common law to facts and legal instruments.
- Superior knowledge of judicial and quasi-judicial procedures.
- Superior knowledge of the law in assigned area of practice.
- Superior ability to express conclusions and arguments in a clear, timely, and logical manner, both in oral and written form.
- Superior knowledge of SAS’ approved legal positions and ability to apply those positions to solve problems and issues.
- Proven establishment of effective working relationships with middle and upper management at the company; ability to maintain effective working relationships with the public, and with other persons outside the company within the course of work.
- Minimum 10 years' post-qualification experience, with experience as a practicing attorney and corporate attorney.
- You’re curious, passionate, authentic and accountable. These are our valuesand influence everything we do.
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.