Leads a team of project/program managers and oversees the execution and satisfactory completion of software service delivery projects within project portfolio. Supports the implementation effort from initiation through delivery to meet revenue and cost projections; accountable for customer satisfaction and project financials. Assumes responsibility for planning, implementing and maintaining methods, strategies, and business initiatives. Interacts with clients/customers, staff, Group Managers, and applicable departments at SAS. Leverages domain and industry expertise.
- Provides strategic leadership to project teams responsible for all implementation tasks such as proposal review, cost estimation, resource planning, scoping, delivery and execution.
- Responsible for portfolio management activities; periodically reviews the status of projects and provides updates to senior management as needed.
- Manages and mitigates risks associated with project delivery; serves as first level escalation point for issues that surface during delivery engagement.
- Identifies and assigns project managers to client engagements; collaborates with project managers to ensure that they are managing all activity associated with the delivery (cost, schedule, resources, issues, etc).
- Manages and resolves conflict between the project, client or other internal organizations in a satisfactory manner.
- Overall accountability for the profitability of the projects within their portfolio. Ensures that project management staff assumes fiscal responsibility for projects and maintains accurate project plans that satisfy customer requirements while adhering to deadlines and communicating weekly project status reports, issues, alerts, signoffs and closure to the team, management and the customer.
- Oversees budget planning/analysis, resource planning, and coordination of project activities between client and internal/external resources needed to accomplish strategic business goals.
- Provides accurate revenue forecasts on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Monitors revenue and expenses to ensure targets are met or exceeded.
- Builds and maintains relationships with clients that characterize partnership, cooperation and trust; may communicate and interact with customer at multiple levels and participate in governance activities, particularly for larger more complex projects.
- Mentors staff in methodologies and best practices in project management to enhance project delivery; contributes leading practices and lessons learned content to knowledge management repositories.
- Serves as an advisor and resource to project management staff; coaches staff on providing project leadership and driving customer success while overcoming barriers and satisfying project stakeholder commitments.
- Directly participates in the development and implementation of training and mentoring programs for staff. Provides regular performance reviews for team members.
- Provides staff with clear understanding of responsibilities, accountabilities and growth plan by communicating and managing work assignments, training, and performance appraisals.
- Monitors the alignment of program scope with strategic business objectives.
- Works closely with Resource Management, ensuring optimized resource utilization across all projects and assisting in the development and deployment of partner resources.
- Works closely with the Alliances to identify partner delivery opportunities as well as identify partner implementation requirements. Monitors Partner delivery performance and recommends improvements.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Manages larger project portfolio with more complex strategic projects.
- Networks with other managers in Business Unit and across the company (Sales, R&D, Technical Support and Product Management) during a client engagement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of Project Management Practice procedures and tools; thorough understanding of software project delivery lifecycle.
- Knowledge of project goals and metrics.
- Thorough understanding of P&L responsibilities and the impact on services delivery.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to position and support services sale opportunities
- Strong organizational, written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Travel as business requirements dictate at management discretion.
Typically requires twelve years relevant experience and five years experience in a leadership role including two years formal people management experience.
Recruitment will be managed in line with SAS’ affirmative action measures in accordance with the Employment Equity Act, and as such candidates from designated groups will be preferred.
All valid SAS job openings are located on the Careers page at www.sas.com. SAS only sends emails from verified “sas.com” email addresses and never asks for sensitive, personal information or money. Should you have any doubts about the authenticity of any type of communication from, for, or on behalf of SAS, please contact us at Recruitingsupport@sas.com before taking any further action.