Are you a strong leader with a desire to remain on a technical track while looking for your next career move? Are you adept at understanding large, complex systems with enough practical depth to design improvements with discerning precision? Are you comfortable presenting your vision to senior R&D leaders as well as articulating the details to developers in order to execute that vision? Are you interested in collaborating with R&D teams across divisions to ensure our product architecture enables the scalability and performance our customers demand?
The R&D Engineering architecture team is looking for a Principal Systems Architect to lead broad architectural initiatives, provide technical direction, and ensure excellence as we continue to release cloud-first, cloud-native, as-a-service offerings within multiple R&D divisions.
What we do
We’re the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation – pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live.
What you’ll do
Propose, update, and review architectural designs and directly assist teams with their implementation, collaborate with our engineering architectural committee and coordinate all related activities.
- Solid knowledge of software security and privacy by design concepts with excellent understating of building SaaS products
- Deep understanding of cloud native system design best practices, cloud-native principles and the impacts of cloud economics on software architecture and design.
- Ability to comprehend the details of complex system software and the implications of architectural changes including security, performance, usability, scalability, maintainability, internationalization/globalization and TCO.
- Excellent skills managing stakeholder expectations and ability to serve as the bridge between one’s division and other engineering teams.
- Good understanding and embrace of DevOps and CI/CD principles with exposure to Kubernetes and Docker
- Broad understanding and embrace of Agile software development.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Broad and in-depth understanding of Kubernetes e.g., implementation and lifecycle management of stateful applications running in Kubernetes, performance engineering in a K8S environment
- Experience with Rust
- Programming language theory / experience implementing a language and / or building and supporting a compiler
- Familiar with the design and implementation of open-source languages, such as Python, Lua, and R.
- Good understanding of the analytic lifecycle.
- Good understanding of microservices architecture and ability to prototype microservices in Golang.
- Familiarity with SAS language including datastep, DS2, and CASL.
- Ideally you will be having knowledge of some of the SAS products or SAS industry solutions.
- Ability to serve as the bridge between one’s division and other engineering teams
- Ability to write requirements for multiple, highly complex systems.
We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference. Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
SAS looks not only for the right skills, but also a fit to our core values. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique values that makes SAS such a great place to work. We look for the total candidate: technical skills, values fit, relationship skills, problem solvers, good communicators and, of course, innovators. Candidates must be ready to make an impact.